Friday, September 18, 2015

Week 4 follow-up

In a comment on my last post, my excellent friend Chubbic has pretty much nailed my (our) mental process, if anyone's curious. I have my reservations about the way MBTI typing sometimes gets used, but this is as clear a description of the way my thinking works as any I've read.


In light of some exchanges with classmates since yesterday, I was prompted to open a running file of research ideas I have kept since fall 2011. In this file I've jotted any topic I've come across that struck me as something I might enjoy researching someday, when I had the freedom to pursue it. The idea is that some of these might germinate into articles, or even popular-level books. I've ignored this list for long stretches, while trudging through valleys of academic ennui. But glancing over it today (it's a little over a page long, at this point), I felt a little more encouraged than disillusioned, which itself is a hopeful sign. Even if most of these never come to fruition, much less publication, it's heartening to think that they haven't totally lost interest for me. Even if I don't go the route of the traditional academic job, there are still some neat things I could do after graduation. And just because my interest and creativity and drive have been at a fairly low ebb over the past few years, that doesn't mean it will always be this way.

No comments:

Post a Comment